Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Caltech's earthquake building

Every day after work I drive by this monstrosity in the making. At first I hated it and thought it a sign of our civilization's further collapse into postmodern squalor.

Then it occurred to me that this might be the new earthquake center once it's finished. Caltech has a geology building where reporters gather any time there's an earthquake. (Know how to measure an earthquake's strength on the Caltech scale? Count the news vans parked in front of the earthquake building.) If this building is going to be the new gathering spot, I have to admit it's kind of funny. It'll give reporters some great exterior shots for their shows. :) Imagine people watching the news and thinking, "WOW! I thought it was a mild earthquake, but look what it did to that building!"

Someone suggested to me that this building was designed to come together and look nice and straight in the event of an earthquake, while everything around is broken.

2 comments:

.The Cellarer said...

I'll see your Caltech building and raise you the Scottish Parliament...

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/holyrood/building/index.htm

Rachel said...

Dear me, some giant baby has dropped his building blocks all in a jumble, right on the street!