Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bishop Sheen on What's My Line?

I saw this at The Curt Jester-- it's Archbishop Fulton Sheen on What's My Line! There's a hilarious line or two in the middle of the video.



I need to watch more Sheen; the little I've seen of him is great. He was the first famous televangelist (before that word took on negative connotations!) It's funny to hear him answering in French and refusing to say he's well-known, making the host say it for him. Check out Dorothy Kilgallen genuflecting and kissing his hand at the end. I wouldn't try that on my own bishop but it used to be customary. :)

Here's something strange and completely tacky, yet amusing-- would go well with holy toast. :)

2 comments:

Gary Keith Chesterton said...

Good Lord, how I love Bishop Sheen.

I have all thirty hours of his basic instruction in faith, which a friend gave me, and I never grow tired of it. Maybe I can figure a way to send it you, Rachel.

Most fascinating is the way he was so widely loved and respected. This prelate had his own TV show for years, and it was a substantially popular show. Can you imagine a Catholic bishop having his own show today? On a major network? Where he just stands in front of a chalkboard and talks?

Look at the warmth shown him by the whole panel, especially the emcee.

This was within a single human lifetime. So much has changed, and for the worse.

Rachel, thanks a million for finding this and posting it!

Rachel said...

GKC, I don't have a TV or much time to watch thirty hours on DVD-- if they're on CD, though, I could put them on my iPod and listen in my car, and that would be lovely!

You're right; so much has changed. Bishops have been more worried about saving their public image than about defending the Faith; consequently both their public image and the Catholic Church in this country have suffered enormously.

Also, society in general is much less courteous than it used to be; you can see it in how well-mannered the folks on this show are. Even addressing each other by last names; can you imagine? Bet it's easier to remember yourself and behave decently when everyone interacts with a touch of formality.