Saturday, December 20, 2008

It is HIGH time for more Catholic desserts!

Not long ago I took it into my head to fast from chocolate for a while, and I let my friends know what I was doing. One night they came over for dinner, bringing big snickerdoodles and butterscotch ice cream with them. It was a delicious dessert, and very thoughtful of my friends to come up with something I could eat. So good it totally took the merit away from fasting. Anyway, if you're one of those people who gives up chocolate for Lent, here's an idea for you. :)

This reminds me of when I was about thirteen and went to a pizza place with two friends, Jovanna and Suzanne. It was Lent but that meant nothing to Jovanna and me; we were Protestants. Suzanne, however, was Catholic and she was fasting from chocolate, her favorite food. So we ordered a pizza, and lo and behold, it came with exactly two free pieces of chocolate ravioli. White chocolate covering milk chocolate. It was delicious. Jovanna and I showed no mercy, but sat on either side of Suzanne and consumed our dessert with exclamations of delight. Looking back on that day, I just know Suzanne was quietly praying, "Oh Lord, please teach Rachel a lesson and make her Catholic too!"

No comments: