Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquaaaake!

I was just getting ready for the noon Mass when the earthquake hit today. 5.4, pretty big! (I'm in Lakewood, CA, and the earthquake's epicenter was in nearby Pomona.) It lasted quite a while and the second floor apartment where I live swayed around. A lot. It seems very wrong for what is normally solid to wave like that!

I'm not the least bit afraid of earthquakes, except when they're happening. The shaking really wasn't bad but I'm always terrified of the possibility that it'll suddenly get worse.

I've been in three big earthquakes: Whittier Narrows when I was a third-grader, the Northridge quake when I was in college, and now this one. None damaged any possession or loved one of mine, thanks be to God!

It's all right with me if we don't have any big aftershocks with this one...

That's the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 pictured above. :)

3 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I too was planning to go there for noon Mass, that changed once the eq came. Glad to know you're okay :)

R.A. said...

Love the pic. I was also in the Whittier Narrows and the Northridge quakes. There was one other one, too, but I can't remember what its official title was (maybe it wasn't that big).

Mary Rose said...

So glad you're okay! That would totally freak me out.

For some reason, I keep thinking of what you were thinking during the Feast of Corpus Christi processional...

that's just how we roll...

May God continue to protect you, dear one. :-)