Friday, July 11, 2008

Doom averted!

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the plaintiffs' attorney who dismissed me from the case right before lunchtime today. I am saved two months of boring jury duty. :D

It was a civil lawsuit; a man who's dying of cancer is suing about eight different companies for asbestos exposure. Perhaps it's good I didn't know until just now that mesothelioma is nearly always linked to asbestos. If I had known I wouldn't have been so skeptical of the plaintiff, and it was my skepticism that got me off the case. Mind you, I still don't know how it could be shown that all eight companies are liable. May justice prevail, and I'm so glad I don't have any of the responsibility for making that happen.

Say, isn't this great weather for July? I have the front and back balcony doors open in my apartment and there's a very nice cross-breeze.

Life is beautiful.

4 comments:

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Life is beautiful...and the weather is great!

R.A. said...

I miss you.

Unknown said...

"Thank you, thank you, thank you to the plaintiffs' attorney who dismissed me from the case..."

Were you wearing your veil, carrying your Rosary, your Breviary and radiating your customary celestial bliss?
I mean, before you were excused.

Rachel said...

I did often read my breviary when they were making us wait in the hallway. :) But in the jury box I'm afraid the only thing I was radiating was bias against the plaintiff, which as it turns out works just as well as a veil when it comes to getting off cases!