Saturday, May 01, 2010

Duruflé's Requiem!!!

Just got back from our penultimate rehearsal for Duruflé's Requiem and I'm all hyped up! It was such fun. :) I'd practiced enough at home to know my part really well, and I'm so glad I did that; it means I'm not too nervous now. Though I'm guaranteed to make some mistakes because you never get through a whole concert without them-- probably they'll be mistakes I've absolutely never made before because I'll be distracted by the audience. But hey, it's a free concert so they're guaranteed their money's worth. :)

If you want to hear how similar Duruflé's score is to the Gregorian chant he based it on, you can go here for a video of a guy with on the organ singing the chant, and here for a performance of the Duruflé.

Um, our choir doesn't look as professional as that YouTube video, but we're good for a bunch of amateurs who just came together to rehearse about six weeks ago. :) We'll have a smaller number of instruments, which was actually Duruflé's preferred orchestration (he scored it three ways: with organ alone, with a few instruments, and with a full orchestra, and the middle way is the one a lot of people seem to like best.)

Here's a flier for the concert, and if you're reading this, you're invited. It's only an hour long and we'll feed you afterward! :)




P.S.: The Spurs beat the Mavs in six games and they're on to the conference semifinals against the Suns. Just thought I'd let you know that. :)

No comments: