Saturday, November 28, 2009

What not to say about your 1962 Missal

A missal is a book that has the prayers and readings for Mass. Missals from 1962 and before are for the traditional form of Mass, in Latin, while later missals are for the novus ordo ("new order") Mass.

So Christie and I were in San Diego earlier this week, and we went to our favorite church there, St. Anne's. It was a Tuesday evening and Fr. Masutti was giving a talk. He's from Argentina, a dark-haired man who speaks with an accent. His fraternity is the FSSP, a group of priests that says the traditional Latin Mass. So he was explaining to us how to use our 1962 Missals to find the prayers and readings for the current day by checking the liturgical calendar and proper of saints and so on. And then he offered some very practical advice:

"This is what not to say. I was at airport customs and the agent asked me what I had and I answered, 'Oh, I just have a missal in my bag!'"

Fr. Masutti says it took him a long time to explain.

8 comments:

vocations said...

ohh that is wonderful. You got an acutally LOL out of me on that one.
Have a blessed sunday and New liturgical year!

Heather said...

Whoops! Yeah, maybe not the best choice of words. :)

Rachel said...

Thanks Ashley, and the same to you!
Heather, no kidding-- and you know customs agents leave their sense of humor at the door...

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

hahaha :)

adonela said...

ha! that must have been a curveball for the tsa agent. Remind me to get a few pointers from you on how to better use my 1962 'missal'.

Rachel said...

You've hit on something... it must be a weapon against all heresy!

john parisi said...

I have a missel dated 1940, it was published by Father Steadman of Brooklyn New York. Every Catholic who went in the Army in WW II got a missle. I carried mine everywhere I went when I had a chance to be an Altar Boy I had the prayers in Latin. Introebo ad altare dei, ad deum qui lei tifficut doma that is all I remember. I will be happy when they bring back Latin and teach it to all semenarians.

Rachel said...

Well, Deacon John, your 1940 Missal would be useful if you found one of the traditional Latin Masses that have been starting up in the last few years. We have a bunch here in the LA area since the Pope lifted the restrictions on it back in 2007. I go every Sunday and I love it. I know some seminaries teach the older form too, at least as an elective.