Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Corn Flake Wreath

When I was growing up we always went to the Singletons' house on Christmas Eve, and they always had the same wonderful Christmas cookies, and among them was always a wreath made of corn flakes. I loved that dessert, and figured it was a Christmas institution. So when I thought of bringing one to the lab party last week, I nearly ruled it out because I was afraid it would seem cliche. But it turned out that no one else in the lab had ever seen or heard of such a thing! Most people couldn't even identify it as a dessert. They thought perhaps it was a strange vegetable presentation. I found myself explaining over and over: "It's marshmallows melted with green food coloring, like Rice Krispies treats, but with corn flakes instead..." So if you're one of those benighted souls who has not yet discovered the deliciousness that is the corn flake wreath, behold!




It's very easy to make, and frankly, tastes best while you're assembling it, when the coating is still all warm... irresistible. Try it with a bunch of friends and see if you don't eat it all before the wreath is even formed. :)

Corn Flakes Christmas Wreath

1/3 cup butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 teaspoon green food coloring
6 cups corn flakes
Red cinnamon candies

In a large pot over low heat, melt butter. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from head. Stir in food coloring. Stir in corn flakes until well coated.

On wax paper or parchment paper, dump out the corn flakes and shape them into a wreath. Decorate with cinnamon candies.

It's easiest to cut the wreath in pieces while the coating is still warm, since it hardens as it cools. I think parchment paper is best if you have it; at any rate the wreath manages to stick even to wax paper. Make sure to press in the cinnamon candies before the coating sets.

No recipe post of mine is finished until there's been a closeup:



Also, you could make a bunch of tiny wreaths instead of one big one... but I wouldn't go to all that trouble for something that's not likely to last long. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I make these every year but I add a tsp of vanilla and tsp of praline and use mini m&ms instead of red hots......they fly off the plate at every holiday party.

Rachel said...

The M&Ms are a good idea, since red hots are hard to chew on!

Anonymous said...

I made this for Christmas, thank you Rachel!! =))

Rachel said...

Oh cool, I'm glad someone used the recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

Have made them for years. Also add vanilla, and make individual wreaths, about 2 to 3 inches across. Always include them on cookie plates I give for Christmas. They take time to make, but add color to the gift plate.
....Thank you for sharing, I made a big wreath this year for the first time---just because of you.

Rachel said...

Thank *you* for sharing. I'll have to try adding vanilla next time.