Sunday, February 01, 2009

It's February! Thank you, St. Valentine

...for inspiring me to fatten up in preparation for Lent. :)

To celebrate (a bit early) the obscure saint whose feast day spreads joy and pain throughout the land, I made "Chocolate Chip-filled Melting Moments". This was the first time I ever made sandwich cookies. It won't be the last. Wow, they're good! The two cookies are very light buttery shortbread, and the filling is a sweet thick frosting with miniature chocolate chips. The recipe's at Bake or Break (if you don't have cake flour just use all-purpose flour and subtract about two tablespoons). My cookies came out bigger than ideal, but all the more reason to try again. :) I made the filling pink for St. Valentine's Day and I'm a bit sorry I didn't add a touch of lemon extract too; that might have brightened it up. Also I didn't have quite enough filling for all the cookies, and I definitely should have doubled the entire thing anyway.

But these are minor quibbles about what was a highly successful recipe. Remember to click for a closer view. :)


4 comments:

R.A. said...

Maybe if I followed your Catholic recipes I would stop losing weight...

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry...STOP IT!

I'll stop by your place later this week to pick up some of those awesome Catholic cookies!

Just kidding.... :)

Rachel said...

Rachel, the weight loss is the only one of your symptoms I'd gladly suffer in your place. :) And Meg, you'll have to move faster than that-- these cookies is long gone! Like I said, I really should have doubled the recipe...

adonela said...

I don't know if you'll be able to put a Catholic theme to this recipe.

Chocolate-Hazelnut Pinwheels

Nutritional Information
(per serving)

Calories 0
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 0mg
Total Carbohydrate 0g
Dietary Fiber --
Sugars --
Protein 0g
Calcium --



Cook Time: 8 min


Oven Temp: 375
Ingredients


1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
1/2 cup(s) sugar
6 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
1/4 cup(s) prepared chocolate-hazelnut spread

Directions

1. On a sheet of waxed paper, stir flour, baking powder, and salt. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat sugar with butter until creamy. At low speed, beat in egg and vanilla until mixed. Gradually beat in flour mixture just until combined.
2. Divide dough in half; shape each half into a disk. Wrap each disk with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm enough to roll. (Or, place dough in freezer 30 minutes.)
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk of dough into 10-inch by 7 1/2-inch rectangle. With pastry wheel or knife, cut rectangle lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 3 squares. Place squares, 1 inch apart, on ungreased large cookie sheet. With knife, make 1 1/2-inch cut from each corner toward center (do not cut all the way to center). Spoon 1/2 teaspoon chocolate-hazelnut spread in center of each square. Fold every other tip in to center to form pinwheel. Repeat with remaining squares.
4. Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.
5. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cookies in tightly covered container up to 2 weeks.