Monday, May 12, 2008

LAME reason not to be a nun

I just remembered this and had to share.

Last month when my friends and I were visiting the cloistered Dominican nuns, the prioress told us of a young woman she once talked to who was interested in joining up. The sticking point? Makeup. This girl didn't want to give up makeup.

The prioress told her she'd have to make that sacrifice for God, but the girl kept pleading for just a bit of foundation or powder or something. This was, I repeat, a group of cloistered Dominicans. Had she joined them, she would hardly have been seen at all by the outside world. She sure as heck would have given up any potential romantic interests. And yet she apparently couldn't bear to show anyone an uneven skin tone!

Just in case that shine serum post below was making you think I was vain. :)

5 comments:

Andrew Haines said...

An off topic comment but...

I assume by Tiber Swim Team on your sidebar you intend to say that you converted to the faith last Easter... is that true? Just curious. I don't know too much about you, but I enjoy your blog.

Rachel said...

Thanks Andrew, and yes, after being Protestant all my life I was confirmed a Catholic last year at Easter. :D Some day when I have time I need to write why...

Unknown said...

You know, Rachel, in this era, it is harder to give up "Internet" or "E-Mail" rather than make up. Once you enter the postulancy, you are required to give up Internet/E-mail for couple years...no exception, no excuses...How's that!

Rachel said...

Well, obviously, THAT'S a very serious and profound reason to reconsider one's vocation. Who could give up the Internet???

R.A. said...

MAKEUP??? I don't even wear it. I once wrote a college paper about how evil it was because it traps women into this cycle of addiction and false beauty...man, that girl needed an intervention. She should have gone to Makeup Users Anonymous...Hey, way to copy my blog. =) I am so honored. Also, I finally put a post about my blog title.