Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hazelnut pancakes

I had roasted hazelnuts left over from last week's adventures, and when I came home for breakfast this morning I knew that it was time.  Time to make a third recipe from the awesome collection in the latest Martha Stewart Living.  Time to do this:

Hazelnut pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups roasted hazelnut meal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups lowfat milk
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Whisk together the first four ingredients.  Whisk together the last four ingredients.  Whisk the two mixtures together until just combined (with some lumps remaining).

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray or lightly oil.  Scoop 1/3 cup batter onto heated skillet.  Cook until edges are dry and some small bubbles come to the surface, about 3 minutes.  Flip with a thin spatula and cook on the other side until firm to the touch, about 3 minutes.  Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200 degree oven (as for me, I always eat my pancakes fresh and hot, and make more when I'm ready for them).  Repeat with remaining batter.  (You can stick the rest of the batter in the fridge for later too).  Makes 16 pancakes.

Raspberry sauce (I didn't make this part, but just in case you'd like to):
3/4 cup raspberry jam
3 tablespoons water
Fresh lemon juice to taste

Heat jam and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until warm and pourable.  Add another tablespoon of water if needed.  Stir in lemon juice.

You know I've got pictures for you. :)  Here's hazelnut meal and flour:



Eggs, milk, brown sugar and oil get poured on top.



The mixture gets cooked:



And real maple syrup is poured on



I ate that batch too fast for tantalizing closeups.  Here's the next batch, which I cooked up darker:



Get a good look, now. :)



I must tell you a secret: I halved this recipe.  Except for the hazelnuts.  So there was a double dose of nutty nuts!  And I'm happy to report it was delish.

For those keeping score, I was able to make hazelnut cookies, homemade Nutella, and hazelnut pancakes, all with one 16-ounce bag of hazelnuts from Trader Joe's.  :)

2 comments:

Vincenzo said...

please provide me with some

Rachel said...

Would that I could!