Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Spam and cheese salad

It's come to my attention via comments that I seem to have food on the brain. If the shoe fits...

Tonight Fr. Larry canceled his weekly class on the Diary of St. Faustina, leaving my roommate and me with an evening free. She invited over three friends who were similarly at loose ends and started on some chicken curry, then asked me to toss the salad. The "salad" turned out to be a package of Romaine lettuce and ranch dressing. It seemed inadequate. But then I got out my English cheddar with caramelized onions, and Mery came up with a package of Spam and some homemade croutons from the Carmelites' boutique in Alhambra. Our friends arrived and one of them fried up the Spam while I cut the cheese into little pieces, and we tossed them with the croutons and Romaine. And let me tell you, that salad was so tasty I didn't even bother with the dressing. Who'd have thought?

In case you were wondering, the meal was finished with tiramisu, brownie bites, tea (decaf, not white tea), trail mix and leftover Halloween candy.

Tomorrow I might get off the topic of food. Unless I'm given chocolate (hint hint).

2 comments:

JimAroo said...

Foodies that you are, count your blessings....see this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/business/15spam.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

You were fortunate to have that meal before the next crisis hits...yex it could be true....a spam shortage.

Rachel said...

THE HORROR! THE HORROR! :)